Historic Properties of Spokane
Blake House, Judges Richard & Bruce
Architecturally significant, the Judge Richard Blake/Judge Bruce Blake House is a hallmark example of the Queen Anne Free Classic architectural style. The home was designed by Spokane master architect Albert Held, and was built in 1898. The home is listed as a historic/contributing property in Nettleton’s Addition National Register Historic District in the West Central neighborhood. The Blake House is sited at the north end of Nettleton’s Second Addition at 2615 West Maxwell Avenue. Affording spectacular vistas, the home was erected on three consecutive lots where West Summit Boulevard and West Maxwell Avenue converge along a high ridge that follows a steep north-facing bluff. The property’s high bluff location commands an uninterrupted panoramic view of north Spokane, the Spokane River, and distant hills and mountains. Two-and-a-half stories in height with a wide expansive girth, the Judge Blake House is distinguished by many original features, including a hip roof, widely overhanging eaves, roof dormers, narrow-wood clapboard siding, 1/1 and 10/1 tall narrow wood-sash windows, and multiple beveled bays. The most prominent architectural feature of the residence is its wide Queen Anne-style wrap-around front porch. The wraparound porch is protected by balusters between sections of enclosed porch wall with both square posts and Doric columns. Well-preserved with very good integrity, the Judge Blake House retains its original location, design, workmanship, materials, and association.