Historic Properties of Spokane
Washington Machinery & Supply Company
Built in 1904 to house the Washington Machinery and Supply Company, and expanded in 1907, the unreinforced red brick building is mid-block between two buildings and faces the BNSF Railroad viaduct on the south. (The building was expanded again in 1910, but that portion became the Pacific States Electric Building in 1928.) Railroad Alley Avenue provides frontage on the north side. Because of slope and changes in grade, the north side is three stories above grade, and the south side is two stories above grade. The north façade is flat and divided into six equally-spaced window bays on the second and third floors. Aligned below on the basalt rubble ground floor wall and opening to Railroad Alley are two windows, two pedestrian doors, and one off-set loading door. On the railroad side, the plain brick south facade rises from a concrete loading platform and includes a former loading door on the west end, one segmental-arch window in the middle and a former loading door on the east end. On the second floor are six equallyspaced segmental-arch windows. In the brick field above the window arches is, in faded white letters: “WASHINGTON MACHINERY AND SUPPLY CO. A sheet metal coping caps the parapet wall of the flat roof. The building is characteristic of the warehouses along the Northern Pacific corridor: concrete loading platform along the south (railroad) side, basalt rubble basement wall (ground level exposed on north side), plain brick walls with wood post and beam structure, segmentally-arched windows, and flat roof. Wrought iron balconies and new window and door sash were applied to the original façade ca. 2005.