Historic Properties of Spokane
Rising from a basalt rubble and brick basement, the Leland Hotel is an unreinforced buff-colored brick apartment building (former single room occupancy hotel). Built in 1907, and remodeled in 1980, the building is midblock along the south side of Riverside Avenue between Bernard and Browne streets. The front façade is symmetrically-arranged, divided into four equally-spaced bays, and rises four stories before terminating in a sheet metal cornice and brick parapet wall. The flat-ached window bays are topped with voussoired brick soldiers with press molded sheet metal keystones that project from and above the brick arches. Pressed sheet metal sills beneath each window bay project from the brick field and beyond the jambs. The building, however, has been altered by the replacement of the original double-hung wood sash windows, and the rebuilding of the original storefront with a seismic upgrade that adversely compromises its design integrity. During the 2019 rehabilitation of the building, both of those alterations will be rehabilitated and corrected to be more compatible with the original building form and style.