Historic Properties of Spokane
Built in 1901, the Moses & Netta Phelps House is a fine example of the Free Classic Queen Anne style. Identifying Queen Anne-style elements of the property include the home’s tall 2.5-story vertical form, irregular cross-gable hip roof, multiple exterior wall claddings, fenestration designs/patterns, balconies, oriels, and a full-width wrap-around front porch. The Phelps House was built by accomplished Spokane contractor David Fotheringham for Netta & Moses Augustus Phelps, a successful Spokane businessman, real estate investor and “Spokane pioneer lumberman and banker” who helped form and manage the Wadsworth & Phelps Lumber Company. Netta Wells Sheldon Phelps, wife to Moses Phelps and a well-known Spokane socialite and civic benefactress, was venerated for her work as a historical author, a Washington State Regent for the Daughters of the American Revolution and as a philanthropist during her “long and busy life spent in service to others.”
The Phelps House is a contributing property in the Browne’s Addition Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places 7/30/1976.