Historic Properties of Spokane
The McCroskey House is presumed to be the last residence in Spokane designed by the city’s most renowned architect, Kirtland Kelsey Cutter. It was built in 1923 for Floyd McCroskey, a prominent Spokane life insurance underwriter. The land was a wedding gift to McCroskey and his wife from her parents, the Kemps, owners of the Kemp & Hebert Department Store. Located in the Marycliff-Cliff Park Historic District, the home was designed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style and represents an important transition in the development of Cutter’s works, reflecting the influence of his increasing connections to Southern California and the architectural styles prevalent there. Cutter moved to California in 1923.
The McCroskey House is a contributing property in the Marycliff-Cliff Park Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.