Historic Properties of Spokane
The Masonic Temple is a significant example of Neo-Classical Revival architecture in Spokane. Considered one of the grandest fraternal lodges in the west, it exemplifies the disciplined classicism that evolved from the Beaux-Arts movement and the influence of the Columbian Exposition of 1893. A principal structure in the Riverside Avenue National Historic District, the Masonic Temple is representative of the City Beautiful movement as it was expressed in Spokane. Historically and architecturally significant, the building drew on the talents of many of Spokane’s most influential and prominent citizens during its construction and development. It is a reflection of the importance of the fraternal and social organizations to the fabric of the community during its growing years. Originally completed in 1905 and expanded in 1925, the Temple was the collaborative effort of two prominent Spokane architects, John K. Dow and Loren L. Rand. The 1925 addition is attributed to the firm of Rigg & VanTyne.
The Masonic Temple is a contributing property in the Riverside Avenue Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.