Historic Properties of Spokane
The Fred J. and Alice Flint House was constructed in 1898, soon after Nettleton’s Addition was platted in the West Central neighborhood in 1897. Built for Fred J. Flint, president of the Flint Investment Company, the home is a fine early example of the Tudor Revival style. Flint came to Spokane in 1882 from Seattle and promptly began a lucrative real estate business with partner Fred B. Grinnell. In 1890, Flint married Alice L. Gray, the daughter of a Boxport, Maine ship captain. The home was sold to William T. Shelton in 1926, who lived there for nearly 30 years. From 1888 to 1926, the Flint House achieved historic significance for its association with the architectural development and settlement of the West Central neighborhood, and is architecturally significant as an example of the Tudor Revival style.
The Flint House is a contributing property to Nettleton's Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places 3/22/2006.