Historic Properties of Spokane
The Elk’s Temple lies in the heart of the Riverside Avenue Historic District, along a serpentine section of Riverside Avenue designed in accordance with the recommendations the renowned Olmsted Brothers Landscape Architecture firm submitted to the Spokane Board of Park Commissioners. The Elks were the most popular organization in the city when the building was constructed in 1919. In fact, the Spokane lodge boasted membership second only to the club in Los Angeles. The building’s ornate but dignified exterior, designed by Spokane’s most celebrated architect Kirtland Cutter, is in the Second Renaissance Revival style. The property is now owned by the North Coast Life Insurance Company, which won an Award of Outstanding merit from the Washington Trust for Historic Preservation for its certified rehabilitation of the building in 1983.
The Elks Club s a contributing property in the Riverside Avenue Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places 7/30/1976.