Historic Properties of Spokane
The Edward and Helen Cannon Property was built for Edward J. Cannon, one of early Spokane’s most noted lawyers, and his wife Helen. Lauded as "one of the brilliant members of the Spokane bar" at the time of his death in 1934, Cannon was also honored as a "model trial lawyer" by his peers, and was applauded for helping found and establish the Gonzaga University School of Law in 1912. The property, which includes the house, garage, front terrace/porch, and basalt rock retaining walls, is architecturally significant as an excellent example of the Colonial Revival style and as a product of Spokane architect and accomplished craftsman, Earl W. Morrison. The property represents specific building and development trends that led to prescribed residential settlement in the Rockwood neighborhood.
The Cannon House is a contributing property in the Rockwood Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places 4/14/1997.