Historic Properties of Spokane
Completed in 1949, the Marshall Creek Bridge facilitated the crossing of the mainline rail yard and switching center of the Spokane, Portland and Seattle Railroad (SP&S), Union Pacific Railroad (UP), and Northern Pacific Railroad (NP) at the community of Marshall, Washington. The bridge spanned two tracks of the SP&S, two through tracks and two diverging tracks of the NP, space for two future through tracks, as well as provided a crossing of Marshall Creek. Before construction of the Marshall Creek Bridge, vehicular track crossing involved a circuitous route leading to an inadequate timber bridge over the creek. Although constructed on a Spokane County highway, the Marshall Creek Bridge was a Washington State Department of Highways Project.