Historic Properties of Spokane
Built in 1916 by George Baker, the Louis and Alma Parent House is a fine and lovely example of the Craftsman bungalow. The first owners, Louis and Alma Parent, lived in the home for over 40 years and Louis himself worked his entire career at the Spokane Dry Goods Company. The home embodies distinctive Craftsman-style features, including an overall low-slung horizontal emphasis, low-pitched roof, widely overhanging eaves, wood shingle siding and wide bargeboards. The interior of the home also displays Craftsman-style details such as an inglenook and fireplace with built-ins, mottled green glazed Grueby ceramic tile hearth and a built-in buffet. The Parent House retains a high degree of exterior and interior architectural integrity and is historically significant for its designation as a single-family residence built in the early 1900s in Spokane.