Historic Properties of Spokane

Back to the listings

Dry Goods Realty Building

Dry Goods Realty Building
Display House
170 S. Lincoln Street See Map
1909
Loren L. Rand/Frederick Phair
Riverside
08/29/2003
11/27/2000

The Dry Goods Realty Building is architecturally significant as an example of the restrained yet elegant styling of the industrial buildings constructed in Spokane at the turn of the century. The aesthetically attractive design and subtle architectural compatibility with the building’s notable counterpart the Crescent Warehouse reflects the value merchants placed on the architectural styling of even working-class buildings. The building is historically significant for its association with James M. Comstock and Robert B. Paterson and their associates Eugene A. Shadle and James L. Paine, founder of the Crescent Department Store, one of Spokane’s most eminent business enterprises. The Dry Goods Building demonstrates the development of Spokane’s business district, as the building was used for both warehouse and retail purposes in the downtown transportation corridor.

The Dry Goods Realty Building is a contributing property in the West Downtown Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places 8/29/2003.

 

Management Agreement

Nomination (PDF)