Historic Properties of Spokane
Fort George Wright Barracks
The Fort George Wright Barracks, now Randolf Arms Apartments, is a part of former Fort George Wright, named for the officer who led the 1858 punitive expedition against the Spokanes, Couer d’Alenes, Palouses, and other area tribes involved in a skirmish with troops under Colonel Steptoe some months earlier. The fort is a significant reminder of Spokane’s long military history. The two barracks are U-shaped red brick neo-colonial Georgian structures with verandas extending along the front elevation on the first and second stories. Before being transformed into apartment buildings, the Barracks were used in the 1950s as a headquarters for SAC.
While not individually listed, the Fort George Wright Barracks are contributing properties in the Fort George Wright Historic District which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.