Historic Districts of Spokane
Fort George Wright Historic District
Fort George Wright is a significant reminder of Spokane's long military history. Designed as a replacement for Fort Spokane located about 50 miles to the northwest, the military reservation was in use from 1897 to 1958, creating new social, economic and community growth patterns for the city. Planned as a regimental post, the failure to fulfill this purpose had a well-defined effect on the northwest military effort in World War II. It is architecturally one of the best-preserved forts in the Inland Empire, due to a hiatus of post-war development. Its tree-lined lanes and red brick buildings belie its military past.