Historic Properties of Spokane
Central Schoolhouse, District 49
This one-room schoolhouse has served as a focal point for both educational and social activities in northwest Spokane County since the turn of the twentieth century. At the time of construction in 1900, there were a number of other one-room schoolhouses in the area, but this is the only one from that time that remains. The building served as a school continuously until 1956 when students at Central School were consolidated with those at Reardan. The Coulee Township acquired the building in 1958 as a meeting house, and today the building is owned by the West Greewood Cemetery District No. 2 and serves as a center for community gatherings and events.