Historic Properties of Spokane
Davis House, Arthur & Florence
The Arthur W. & Florence C. Davis House was constructed in 1914 as one of the first houses erected in the Country Homes Development neighborhood just south of Whitworth University in north Spokane County (Mead Township). The Davis House is a good example of the Craftsman style applied to a single-story bungalow. The home is protected by a very low-pitched cross-gable roof with widely overhanging eaves, exposed rafter tails, and massive exposed beams. Thick brick square porch piers support the porch roof, and a cutout wood balustrade protects the porch deck. The home is clad with original double-course cedar shingles, and retains original multi-paned windows. A noted Craftsman-style detail in the Davis House is a large expansive living room anchored by a fireplace inglenook with built-in bench seats and built-in bookcases with leaded-glass doors.