Historic Properties of Spokane
Ahrens & Ahrens Automobile Dealership
The Ahrens & Ahrens Garage, built in 1919, is significant under Category A as a building associated with the evolution of the automobile and automobile-related business in Spokane. The 1920s was the decade in which most of the buildings were built downtown Spokane specifically to house automobile sales and accessories. The subject building was constructed with a showroom and service facility for the sale of Stephens and Oakland automobiles during the formative stages of Spokane’s auto row. The building included both the showroom and garage for new and used cars. First and Second avenues were Spokane’s auto row and eight dealerships were constructed between Wall and Cedar in the 1920s. Automobile-related businesses filled in the storefronts of the other commercial buildings along the First and Second avenue corridors. As the number of automobile manufacturers dropped between 1920 and 1929, demand for automobile showrooms declined, and many transitioned to servicing automobiles and eventually to retail and office uses.