Historic Properties of Spokane
Monroe House - Walnut
Built in 1902 for Levi and Sara Monroe to reside in until their larger, adjacent house was completed at 1427 W 6th Avenue, the Monroe House is architecturally significant as an intact example of the Arts and Crafts style. The house at 611 S Walnut then served as the servant's quarters for the main house and remained so until 1929. From 1902 to 1906, Monroe was the Livestock Editor of the Spokane Daily Chronicle and served as the Secretary of the Spokane Chamber of Commerce from 1906 to 1920. As a long-term officer there, he contributed to the planning and formation of early Spokane’s business community. During the Depression, Monroe was the assistant to James O’Sullivan, Secretary of the Columbia Basin Commission. In this capacity, he worked with federal, state and local government officials in the planning of the Grand Coulee Dam. The house is now a duplex.