Historic Properties of Spokane
Inland Auto Freight Depot
Constructed in 1922, the Inland Auto Freight building stands at the southeast corner of the intersection of east Main Avenue and Pine Street in the East Riverside neighborhood of Spokane. The one-story, hollow clay tile building with a truncated triangular footprint has a poured concrete foundation. The building is utilitarian in appearance, but its hollow clay structure sets it apart from neighboring brick buildings. Hollow clay tile was an inexpensive alternative to brick, with more heat- and moisture-proof characteristics than brick.1 The stepped parapets on the building’s west and north facades feature ghost signs from one of the building’s previous tenants—Pacific Fruit and Produce.