Historic Properties of Spokane
Built in 1907, the Columbia Building is a six-story commercial office tower sited on the corner of First Avenue and Howard Street, a busy intersection in Spokane's downtown core. With restrained Classical Revival-style detail, the building is constructed of original steel frame, reinforced masonry/concrete, flat roof, basalt stone foundation, rusticated tan-colored face brick cladding, and symmetrical fenestration patterns featured in original windows. Terra cotta ornamentation includes decorative cartouches, window sills with molded drip lines, egg-and-dart detail, and a front-entrance paneled name plate, which spells COLUMBIA. At the west and north primary facades, the building’s flat roof is accentuated with a massive projecting cornice and decorative bracket pairs—a prominent façade focal point. Additional to its architectural significance, the Columbia Building is significant historically due to its association with Judge George Turner, and early Spokane jurist and statesman who fought against women's suffrage.