Historic Properties of Spokane
Built in 1916, the Warner House is a fine example of an Arts & Crafts-era home embellished in the Craftsman style. William Prentice Warner and his wife, Ella, moved to Spokane in 1912 where Warner worked as railroad agent for the Chicago Milwaukee & Puget Sound Railroad. Willaim Warner passed away in 1935 and Ella continued to live in the home until she passed in 1956.
The Warner House retains designs and architectural elements that define the Craftsman style, including a one-and-one-half-story house form, low-pitched side gable roof, widely overhanging roof eaves, massive stepped-beam eave brackets, exposed rafter tails, wide bargeboards, narrow-width horizontal wood siding, multi-paned tripartite/casement/double hung windows, and a basalt rock foundation. A favored Craftsman-style feature, a covered and spacious fullwidth front porch spans a width of more than 29 feet with a depth of nine feet, and is a stylistic out-of-doors extension to the interior living space. The property’s interior is distinguished with a spacious living/dining room, prominent built-in furniture, and superior quality curly and vertical-grain fir woodwork burnished to a rich, deep brown patina.