Historic Properties of Spokane
Built in 1908 and 1920 respectively, the Latah School and its attached gymnasium is one of the oldest, largest and best preserved rural brick schoolhouses in the Palouse farming region in southeastern Spokane County. From 1908 to 1958, the schoolhouse symbolized Latah's commitment to education and community development, serving as the area's primary educational structure. Associated with the evolution of public education in Spokane County, the two-story, brick masonry Latah School reflects early 20th-century building practices advocated for schools, including fire-resistant building materials and a preferred schoolhouse design for graded classrooms. Besides providing a public education to children and students from Latah and surrounding communities, the Latah School served as a meeting place for political, religious, benevolent and other civic and social gatherings in the area.