Historic Properties of Spokane
Washington Auto Carriage
Built in 1917 as an expansion of an adjacent carriage and wagon and automobile body fabrication business, the building served as the headquarters for the Washington Auto Carriage Company until 1954 when the company moved to a new larger location in the Spokane Valley. Washington Auto Carriage, still operating in Spokane Valley, is one of the oldest businesses in Spokane. The building was instrumental in the transformation from blacksmiths shoeing horses and building and repairing carriages to modifying automobile and truck chassis and bodies for fire and sheriff's departments, mining companies, delivery companies, and schools among others.