Historic Properties of Spokane
The well-preserved Trumbull-White House was built in 1924 and is a quintessential expression of the Colonial Revival style dominant in American residential architecture from 1880 to 1955. The house was constructed by Spokane contractor George Bottler for Pearl and Willard Trumbull, one of the city's pioneer automobile dealers. Pearl Trumbull helped establish state and local garden societies and is credited with helping to create the Lilac Parade and name Spokane the "Lilac City." The Trumbull-White House was also home to another significant Spokane woman, Dr. Elizabeth White - one of Spokane's first female physicians. Dr. White was the first female president of the Deaconess Hospital Medical Staff and one of six female doctors practicing in Spokane when she bought the house. A leader in medical and civic affairs, White was active in the Chamber of Commerce, the Social Hygiene Association, and the advisory council for the Spokane Chapter of the Girl Scouts of America.