Historic Properties of Spokane
The well-preserved A.L. Porter House is an exceptional example of the Italian Renaissance architectural style based on sixteenth-century villas, rarely seen in Spokane. Identifying features of the style include a low-pitched hipped roof with wide, overhanging eaves, decorative brackets, stucco-clad symmetrical facade, front entrance accentuated by small, classical columns and arched windows and doors. It was constructed in 1913 by building contractor and real estate developer Gus Bostrom, then purchased by Spokane lumber entrepreneur A.L. Porter. Porter, who was lured to Spokane by its successful lumber trade, settled in the area in 1903 when he was 30 years old. Porter helped direct the lumber industry in Spokane and had achieved financial success by 41 when he and his wife, Ellen, purchased the home. Ellen, unfortunately, died less than two months after moving into her new home. Porter remarried and had several children. His granddaughter, Peggy, remembers her mother's stories about the maids who cleaned and cooked in the house; the chauffeur who lived above the garage; the nurse who looked after the children; and about movie and recording star, Bing Crosby, and his visits to their home.