Historic Properties of Spokane
Designed by prominent Spokane architect, Loren L. Rand, the Odell House is an excellent example of the Free Classic Queen Anne-style. At the time of its construction, the house's location was one of the most prestigious in the city. Other recently completed grand homes, including ones for mining magnates, Amasa Campbell and John Finch that were designed by Kirtland K. Cutter, share the bluff at the west end of First Avenue with the Odell House. An automobile garage designed by the Ballard Plannery was added in 1912. Like surrounding homes, the Odell House is also associated with prominent figures in Spokane history. The home was built for real estate entrepreneur and civic benefactor, George W. Odell, and his wife, Ada. It was later home to Denis and Margaret Clark. Clark was a wealthy miner and a brother to James and Patrick Clark, who built the nearby Patsy Clark Mansion. Sam Katzenstein, a salesman for Cohn Brother’s Furniture, bought the house in 1922 and converted it to six apartments. It remains an apartment house today.
The Odell House is a contributing property in the Browne’s Addition Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.