Historic Properties of Spokane
Mount Saint Michael
Located near Hillyard and Mead six miles north of Spokane, the Mount Saint Michael Seminary was built in the vicinity of the first Catholic mission serving the area. Located high on a bluff some 500 feet above the valley floor, the building has an imposing architectural presence. Designed by noted Spokane architect, Julius Zittel, and built in 1915, Mount Saint Michael is an excellent example of the Tudor-Gothic and Collegiate Gothic Revival styles and possesses pointed gothic arches, large window areas and vertical elements which add visual height to the structure, and exceptional stained glass windows. Mount St. Michael is an outgrowth of the first Jesuit seminary to be established west of the Mississippi River and, since it has been in continuous use as a religious educational facility, remains a symbol of the development of Catholicism in the Pacific Northwest.