Historic Properties of Spokane
Built in 1901, the Fred and Mary Guse House is a fine example of the Free Classic Queen Anne style and is a product of noted Spokane architect, Loren L. Rand, a skilled exponent of the architectural profession who was ranked among the foremost in the northwest. The property is further significant for its association with the design, development, and subsequent settlement of Browne’s Addition, one of Spokane’s first socially and architecturally prominent residential neighborhoods. The property was built for Mary and Fred Guse, a pioneer Spokane grocer, and was home to the Guse family for 58 years. Although the interior of the house was modified in 1959 to accommodate three apartments, the exterior of the Guse House remains intact and nearly exactly depicts designs rendered in circa 1901 blueprints of the property. Remarkably well-preserved after a century of use, the exterior of the Guse House clearly conveys its original design, materials, and workmanship as a single-family residence.
The Guse House a contributing property in the Browne's Addition Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and was included as a contributing property in the Browne's Addition Local Historic District Overlay zone in 2019.