Historic Properties of Spokane
Five Mile Prairie School
Strategically centered in the heart of Five Mile Prairie, the Five Mile Prairie School is one of the oldest and best preserved two-room schoolhouses in north Spokane County. From 1939 until its closure in 1970, the school served the residents of the area as the community’s public elementary school. The building not only provided public education to children on Five Mile Prairie, but also served as a community meeting place for political, religious, benevolent, athletic, and other civic social gatherings. The schoolhouse symbolizes the citizens’ long-standing commitment to education and community development, and is a beloved public landmark. Associated with the evolution of public education in Spokane County and Washington State, the Five Mile Prairie School reflects early twentieth-century best practices in public school construction, including fire-resistant building materials and preferred school design for classrooms. Historically and architecturally significant, the Five Mile Prairie School gained importance in the areas of education and architecture during its period of significance from 1939 to 1954.