Historic Properties of Spokane
Finch Memorial Nurses Home
The John A Finch Memorial Nurses Home is a three and one-half story rectangular building constructed of a reinforced concrete frame faced in buff and tan brick. The building is built on a rectangular plan with a symmetrical facade and reflects elements of the Romanesque Revival style, particularly reflected in the compound arch entry portal on the facade. The building rests on a concrete foundation and rises to a hip roof covered with red-orange and tan tiles. Opened in 1929, the John A. Finch Memorial Nurses Home is the oldest remaining building and the last in tact structure associated with the tree diploma nursing schools that once existed in Spokane, a city considered a major medical center in the Pacific Northwest. The building retains excellent exterior integrity, good interior integrity, and strongly reflects the growth of professional nursing in Spokane.