Historic Properties of Spokane
Built in 1886-1887, the Dwight House is one of the earliest homes remaining in the Browne’s Addition National Historic District. Prominent Spokane architect Herman Preusse designed the home as a high-style example of in the Queen Anne style. Mary P. Willis and Daniel H. Dwight, a real estate investor who owned property throughout Spokane, lived in the house until selling it to their daughter, Mary E. Dwight, who was born in the house on August 12, 1895. Mary was an accomplished and well-educated artist, poet and author who contributed to the arts in Spokane throughout her 91 years. The home remains a single-family residence, despite a short stint as a restaurant, and is one of the most intact homes in Browne’s Addition.
The Dwight House is also a contributing property in the Browne’s Addition Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places 7/30/1976 as well as the Browne's Addition Local Historic District Overlay which passed in 2019.