Historic Properties of Spokane
Built in 1922, the Chandler-Meadors-Anderson House is a fine example of the American Foursquare form. The house was designed by prominent award-winning Spokane architect and builder M. Randolph Smith, and erected for three sisters who lived in the home from 1923-1960. Louise Chandler Anderson, one of the three Chandler sisters, achieved particular historic significance in the community from 1915 to 1956 as a leading educator, department head, and professor emeritus at Eastern Washington University where she made a monumental contribution to the college and to education in the state of Washington. Historically and architecturally significant, the Chandler-Meadors-Anderson House exhibits importance for its associative values as the home of Louise Chandler Anderson, and in the area of architecture as a textbook example of the American Foursquare house form.