Historic Properties of Spokane
The Alonzo and Louise Barnett House is an excellent example of the Free Classic Queen Anne style and is the only dwelling in the Mountain View Addition that features a combination of brick and frame construction, a round turret, and a wrap-around porch. In addition, the Barnett House is remarkably intact, conveying building techniques, materials and designs popularized by the Queen Anne style better than most homes in the neighborhood. Designed by Spokane architect Arthur E. Saunders, the house was featured in a Spokesman-Review newspaper article dated October 29, 1905 that explained the home’s state-of-the-art design, lauding it as “modern American architecture built of buff pressed brick with two-inch air spaces in the walls.” The house was built for Louise and Alonzo Barnett, owners of the Spokane-based A. A. Barnett Company, a business that specialized in loans and real estate investments. The Barnetts lived there From 1903 to 1922.