Historic Properties of Spokane
Cooper-George Apartments & Garage
Erected in 1952, the Cooper-George Apartments and Garage is an excellent example of its type—a modern reinforced-concrete, multi-storied, multi-family commercial apartment building and parking garage. The Cooper-George Apartments and Garage are surrounded by a busy hospital/medical center on the South Hill, one mile uphill from downtown Spokane. The 13-floor apartment building is tall, soaring 130 feet in height from a steep hillside, and reveals stylistic influence from the International tradition, a mid-century modern style popular from 1925 to 1965. The building’s International-Style influence is well-displayed by its boxy geometric shape, flat roof, sleek concrete exterior walls, minimal decorative ornamentation, and symmetrically placed vertical bands of windows. Located just west of the apartment building, the two-story Cooper-George Garage was also built in 1952 as part of the apartment complex. The parking garage mimics the boxy shape, flat roof, and smooth concrete cladding of the apartment building. In excellent condition, the Cooper-George Apartments and Garage retain a high degree of exterior integrity in original location, design, materials, workmanship, and association. In 2018, the building received a full rehabilitation as a market-rate apartment building.