Historic Properties of Spokane
Located in Spokane’s architecturally prominent Rockwood National Register Historic District, the William & Dorothy Trogdon House was listed on the Spokane Register of Historic Places under Category C for its architectural significance. The property’s area of significance is “architecture,” and its period of significance is 1963, the year the home was constructed. The Trogdon House conveys characteristics of the modern mid-20th century Northwest Regional style through the home’s natural forested site, massive geometric volume, minimal ornamentation, concrete and wood construction, exposed wood structural members, widely overhanging open eaves, open floor plan, open-tread stairs, vaulted ceiling, and window walls that offer broad views of the property’s forested hillside and help integrate the home with its natural surroundings. Further architecturally significant, the Trogdon House is a product of husband-and-wife master architects, William & Dorothy Trogdon, two of Spokane’s most successful design leaders in commercial and domestic architecture from 1953 to 1985. In Spokane, they were honored with several design awards, and founded various architectural firms that grew and matured to successfully larger firms. Together, William & Dorothy Trogdon custom-designed and built the Trogdon House as their personal residence.
The Trogdon House is not a contributing resource to the Rockwood National Register Historic District because the district's period of significance roughly spans 50 years from 1900-1950, and the Trogdon House was built 14 years later in 1963.It is, however, individually eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.