Historic Properties of Spokane
Manito Methodist Episcopal Church
Built in 1923, and modified in 1959 with the addition of an “educational” wing, Manito Methodist Episcopal Church is a fine example of Italian Renaissance-style influence, and features arched leaded stained-glass windows, red brick cladding with decorative brick patterns, ornamental concrete bas relief sculpture, and a prominent 60-foot-tall square bell tower. According to church archives, the design and materials for the tower at Manito Methodist Episcopal Church were greatly influenced by one of the great historic basilicas in Italy—St. Francis Basilica of Assisi, Umbria, built in the 1200s. In contrast to the 1923 church, the 1959 education addition depicts hallmark characteristics of Mid-Century Modern-style influence with a low-pitched roof, brushed aluminum window frames, horizontal rows of windows with modern designs, and horizontal rows of decorative blue/green-colored ceramic-clad metal wall panels. Both the church and the addition were designed by prominent Spokane architects, Kirtland K. Cutter and George M. Rasque respectively.
The Manito Methodist Episcopal Church was listed on the Spokane Register of Historic Place on 12/12/2016.