Historic Properties of Spokane
The Eikenbary-Pierce House was built in 1910, a block east of Cliff Park in the architecturally prominent historic neighborhood on the South Hill. Arts & Crafts in style, the home possesses beautiful and stylistic Craftsman features such as the low-pitched roof, tapered porch pillars, overhanging eaves and incredible interior woodwork. Additionally, a very interesting piece of the history of this Arts and Crafts home is its connection to the founders of Shriner's Hospital. The building is significant for its association with Henry A. Pierce and Dr. Charles F. Eikenbary, two of Spokane’s most prominent civic benefactors and philanthropists, and the property’s most significant owners. Henry A. Pierce helped organize the Shriners Hospital for Crippled Children (as it was then called) in Spokane and served as Chairman of the Board of Governors for the hospital for 35 years from its inception in 1924 to his death in 1959. Pierce hired Dr. Charles Eikenbary as the first orthopedic surgeon and Medical Chief-of-Staff for the Shriners Hospital (1924-1926) and who lived in the house from 1913 to 1923.