Historic Properties of Spokane
Located in the center of Latah Valley in southwest Spokane, the Lowell School was originally built in 1899 and enlarged/remodeled in 1917 to accommodate an increased student population growth. However, little remains of the 1899 structure except the basement and foundation. Designed by prominent Spokane architects, Albert Held (1899) and C. Harvey Smith (1917), the stucco-clad schoolhouse is a one story Mission Revival building with a low-pitched hip roof, wide overhanging eaves and arched windows. Named in honor of James Russell Lowell, a noted American educator, philosopher and poet, the building remained a public school until 1954 when it was converted to storage space and then a private residence. The building is currently undergoing restoration work to convert it to a restaurant.