Historic Properties of Spokane
Hillyard Branch Library
Despite its modest stature, the Hillyard Branch Library possesses an enormous amount of integrity, character and history. Built in 1929 by noted local architectural firm, Whitehouse & Price, the library has Italian Renaissance elements and impressive detailing in both the interior and exterior. Intricately carved terra cotta tiles and a large cartouche embellish the entrance while vaulted ceilings and hand-carved, hand-painted exposed timber beams accentuate the interior space. The library, which was open for over fifty years, served the community of Hillyard after its annexation to Spokane in 1924.