Historic Properties of Spokane
Sears & Roebuck Building
Sears & Roebuck, one of the largest mail-order department stores in the United States, erected this building as the site of their Spokane store in 1929. Sears occupied the building until 1960, when it built a new store at the Northtown Mall. In 1961, the Comstock Foundation purchased the building for $350,000 and donated it to the City of Spokane for use as a new Public Library. A condition of the donation was that the Comstock name be retained. In 1962, the building was remodeled and opened as the Spokane Public Library. With an Art Deco theme, the building was razed in 1992 to make way for a new building to house the Spokane Public Library.