Historic Properties of Spokane

Back to the listings

Cowley Park

Cowley Park
Cowley Park
602 S. Division Street See Map
Unknown
Cliff / Cannon
None
02/06/1973
N/A

Located right outside the bustling downtown district of Spokane, Cowley Park exists today as a slightly rolling, wooded, well-cared-for two-acre park with visitor facilities and a monument describing the history of the area, although none of the historic buildings that surrounded the park remain. The reverend Henry T. Cowley and his wife Abigail Peet Cowley, along with their three children, were one of the first four families to settle in Spokane Falls, arriving in 1874. Cowley Park exists today as a tribute to the work Cowley did to strengthen relations between settlers and the Spokane tribe.

Nomination (PDF)