Historic Properties of Spokane
Constructed in 1904, the Zeph Lane House was built during the first phase of single-family construction along East Mission Avenue, between the 200 and 800 block, what is today identified as the Mission Avenue National Historic District. The Lane House is an excellent example of the Free Classic Queen Anne style with Dutch Colonial influences. The Lane House was constructed for Zeph Lane, of Burke and Lane, a Spokane lumber manufacturer and dealer on West Broadway Avenue. The home sold to railroad contractor George Chew in 1909. Chew also had his own firm, Washtok and Chew, in the Mohawk Building downtown. During the property’s period of significance from 1904 to 1917, the Lane House achieved historic significance for its association with the architectural development and settlement of the Logan Neighborhood, specifically along East Mission Avenue.
The Lane House is a contributing property in the Mission Avenue Historic District which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.