Historic Properties of Spokane
Wells Chevrolet Service Building
Historically significant for its association with Spokane’s first "auto row," this building was constructed as the service department for Wells Chevrolet, located directly to the north. With the completion of this building in 1926, it became possible to unload automobiles at the railroad grade level and convey them directly to the showroom on First Avenue. After the demise of Wells Chevrolet during the Depression, the building continued to house auto-related businesses, including Better Chevrolet Service, Day-Majer Used Cars and Service, and Riegel Bros./Riegel-Becker Truck, Service, and Body/Paint Shop. By the mid-1960s however, auto row had moved south, and the building was occupied by a tobacco wholesaler and a candy wholesaler. The building stood vacant through the early 1990s. It was recently converted into condominiums.
The Wells Chevrolet Service Building is a contributing property in the West Downtown Historic Transportation Corridor, listed on the National Register of Historic Places 12/30/1999.