Historic Properties of Spokane
United Hillyard Bank Building
This two-story brick Beaux-Arts building features buff-colored brick veneer and a decorative brick sawtooth and terra cotta cornice capped with the initials "UHB" (United Hillyard Bank). In 1908, the First National Bank built a tall, two-story building that served as one of the banks in Hillyard. That bank's reign was cut short when it and the State Bank of Hillyard next door were demolished and replaced in 1920 by the current Hillyard Bank Building. The UHB Building was designed by Spokane architect, Henry Bertelsen, and the original storefront is still largely intact.
The United Hillyard Bank Building is a contributing property in the Hillyard Historic Business District which was listed on the Spokane Register in 2003 and the National Register in 2002.