Historic Properties of Spokane
Turner House (J.W.)
The J. W. Turner House is architecturally significant as Tudor Revival Craftsman style home located in the Rockwood Avenue National Historic District, associated with the nationally renowned Olmsted Brothers landscape architects of Brookline, Massachusetts. John E. Anderson, who built many of the homes in the Rockwood District, commissioned noted Spokane architect Carl Jabelonsky to design the house, and built it in 1911. The house is also historically significant in its association with several prominent Spokane businessmen. The first owner of the home, J. W. Turner, was an early Spokane refrigeration pioneer and merchant. Subsequent owners include Edgar Van Brundt, treasurer for the Washington Brick, Lime, and Sewer Pipe Company, and Peter Murphy, who was prominent in the regional livestock industry. Restored in the 1980s by owners Therese and Bruce Olson, the home retains its historic character and integrity.