Historic Properties of Spokane
Thomas House (Summit Blvd)
The Thomas House and garage were built in 1907 in the Sherwood Addition neighborhood in northwest Spokane. They are excellent examples of the Mission Revival style and were erected for prominent Spokane physician and surgeon, Dr. Charles Thomas, and his wife, Elsie Thomas. Located on the bluff at Summit Boulevard, the property was custom-designed by Cutter & Malmgren, one of Spokane’s most celebrated architectural firms. Construction of the Thomas House was foretold in a February 6, 1905 feature in the Spokane-Review newspaper. The article reported that Dr. Thomas and his wife “will build a $30,000 residence of brick and stone, and there will be a large lodge for automobiles.” Especially during its period of significance, 1907-1956, the Thomas House achieved historic significance in the context of community design & development as one of the largest homes built in the Sherwood Addition and as a tangible expression of the prominent urban development and settlement that occurred in the area, especially along the bluff’s edge at Summit Boulevard.