Historic Properties of Spokane
Built in 1907 in Spokane, Washington, the Seligman House is a fine depiction of the Craftsman style. It was designed by Kirtland Kelsey Cutter, a principal architect with the architectural firm, Cutter & Malmgren. Regarded as one of the city’s most celebrated and prolific design teams, the firm was founded and owned by K. K. Cutter and Karl Malmgren, and apprenticed many of Spokane’s most prominent architects during the early 1900s. The front page of the Spokesman-Review newspaper printed a lengthy description of the Seligman House along with floor plans, a photograph of the exterior, and a photograph of the living room interior on August 25, 1907. Constructed at a reported cost of $7,000, the property was touted as an “attractive home in Manito Park” with “many distinctive features,” including exterior “color harmony,” “large and well-arranged” rooms, and “ample grounds.” The home was built for William Otto Seligman and his wife, Stella May Seligman. W. O. Seligman worked as part-owner/manager of Seligman Brothers Shoe Store in downtown Spokane, and as a salesman for D. Holzman & Company, wholesale liquor and cigars. The property achieved importance from 1906 to 1956 in the areas of significance, “architecture” and “community planning & development,” as a fine representation of the Craftsman style and a product of master architect, K. K. Cutter, and as an example of the type of residential home planned and prescribed by the developer of the neighborhood through restrictive covenants.