Historic Properties of Spokane
Salvation Army Building
Regarded as a social service work pioneer, the Salvation Army constructed its first permanent Spokane headquarters in a three-story red brick building built in 1921. The facility doubled as the Salvation Army’s service center and as a single room occupancy hotel known as the Red Shield Hotel. It housed itinerant men and boys for nearly 60 years, and was the site for church services, boys clubs, free health and legal services, and war relief efforts. The Salvation Army building was one of Spokane’s longest-running community aid facilities rendering practical help to those in need as advertised in their crusade for "soup, soap, and salvation." The building was designed by architect Archibald Rigg and built by Rigg and general contractor Frederick Phair, two of Spokane’s most accomplished building professionals. Through design, the finely crafted building conveys its use as a single room occupancy hotel and retains excellent exterior integrity.