Historic Properties of Spokane
The Phillips-Mitchem House was built in 1911 by the Kiernan Land Company and Maxwell Phillips, a real estate agent employed by the Western Trust & Investment Company. As the Kiernan Land Company developed the South Side Cable Addition on Spokane’s South Hill, Phillips invested in property in the Addition as an independent investor and real estate speculator. After construction of the Phillips-Mitchem House was complete, Maxwell Phillips and his wife, Ethel Phillips, lived at the residence for a few months then sold it for $12,000 to Henry and Clarissa Mitchem who arrived in spokane in the early 1870s. The Phillips-Mitchem House is an outstanding example of eclectic Arts & Crafts-period styling with strong influence from the Tudor Revival and Craftsman traditions. The Phillips-Mitchem House is a tangible expression of the developer's intentions for the South Side Cable Addition of the trends, reflecting patterns that led to the adoption of subdivision regulations and covenants in Spokane residential neighborhoods.