Historic Properties of Spokane
Built in 1889 and named after its two most significant resident owners, Hiram Newton Muzzy and Patrick C. Shine, the Muzzy-Shine House is a high-style, landmark example of the Queen Anne tradition. The 2.5 story house is dominated by a steeply pitched roof and is an imposing edifice of red brick and sparkly silver-colored granite. The home was erected for Muzzy, a pioneer farmer and orchardist who came to Spokane in 1880, homesteaded 160 acres north of the Spokane County Courthouse and, upon receiving his patent, platted and sold more than 500 lots on his land, which he called Muzzy’s Addition. The second owners of the property were Shine and his wife, Mary Gomm. Shine was a prominent Spokane attorney and politician who held various offices and government positions, served as consulate commissioner to British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan, Canada, and provided legal counsel to railroad companies and real estate enterprises in Oregon and Spokane.